The career decision-making Shrimp

I quit my job recently. My company moved to NYC a year ago and because of the 4 hours daily commute I decided to stay in our “satellite” office in CT.

That Friday, I did not leave home in the morning thinking, “I am quitting today”. I have been frustrated for a while, and that morning was particularly bad.

My moment of truth came at lunchtime—I had brought the leftover shrimp I made the night before from home. I took 2 bites at the dish, looked at the beautiful day outside and thought to myself “That’s it, I am done”. I called, IM’ed and emailed my supervisor ASAP, I had to do it immediately

Of course now I will be broke and freelancing for a while, but I could not be happier.

Here is the career decision-making shrimp.


This is a classic dish from the northeastern Brazilian State of Bahia. It is based on African cooking techniques and flavors.


INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 lb medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined (keep the shells)
  • 4 lb cassava, peeled and quartered (can be Goya frozen cassava, makes no difference)
  • 6 tomatos, peeled, deseeded and chopped
  • a handful of chives and fresh parsley leaves, chopped
  • 3 onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
  • 2 bottles or cans of coconut milk
  • a handful (or two) chopped cilantro
  • 1 cup milk
  • ½ cup dende oil (palm tree oil) –less if you have never tried it
  • Olive oil


PREPARATION:

  • Marinate the shrimp in salt, lime, pepper and some cilantro for 2 hours.
  • Cook the cassava in salted water, the shrimp shells, 1 onion, a bay leaf, to cover in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat for 30 minutes, until fork tender.
  • When done, puree ½ of the cassava in a blender or food processor, adding the coconut milk and 1 cup milk to get a smooth paste. Set aside.
  • Cut the other ½ of the cassava in cubes
  • Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, red bell pepper, and cook another 8 minutes.
  • Add the shrimp and wait until they are cooked through (don't overcook). Add chives and parsley, season with salt.
  • Stir in the pureed and cubed cassava, cook stirring until the mixture is hot.
  • Taste and add more salt if necessary. Finally, stir in chopped cilantro and dende oil.
  • Add Tabasco or other hot sauce (we use malagueta pepper, might be too hot)
  • Remove from the heat, and serve hot with white rice.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Super Easy Alfredo - Nestle table Cream 2

The Real Brazilian Flan (Pudim, or Caramel Flan)

Banana Compote